CURRENT POSITIONS: SUPPLY AND/OR PART TIME (MEAFORD)
Join a team of educators who bring their worldview, their unique backgrounds, and their individual life experiences to work every day. Our organization is committed to building an inclusive and diverse workforce that represents the communities in which we live, teach and play. We seek LGBTQ2+, BIPOC, and all other culturally diverse candidates to apply to any of our positions. We believe that these communities must be centered in the work we do.
Please use the following as a guideline for candidacy only and know that we highly value lived-experience. We welcome each other’s unique experiences, skills and perspectives and find strength in diversity for our Mentor team.
Free Spirit Forest and Nature School
Position: Forest and Nature School Educator (Part Time/Occasional Teachers List)
Location: Collingwood, Meaford, Duntroon and Wasaga Beach, ON
Posting Date: July 28th, 2021
Wage: Starting from $18.50/hr
Free Spirit Forest and Nature School is a community-based not-for-profit program that provides children with regular and repeated access to a natural spaces in the Southern Georgian Bay area. We have a largely emergent, student-led and play-based curriculum where children are understood as competent learners that help forge their own program.
We are seeking adventurous and enthusiastic mentors to join our team. Students spend the majority of the day immersed in various outdoor settings where learning is unhurried and there is space for independent reflection, collaborative creation and risky play. They enjoy the freedom to explore, build, play and engage with various age groups interacting together throughout every season of the year.
We offer full-day programs Mondays through Fridays, as well as weekend, after school, camps and PA Day programming. We are an all-outdoors, all-weather program. Please visit our website at https://fsforestschool.com/ to learn more and review our practices, programs and policies.
- Preferred: Early Childhood Education Diploma, Bachelor of Education Degree and/or Forest School Practitioner – but also highly value lived experience and passion.
- Current First Aid with level C CPR (or able to complete prior to start date)
- Clear criminal record check, including vulnerable sector
- Experience working with young children and experience working in an outdoor setting
- Physically capable of performing teaching duties with enthusiasm regardless of the weather (rain, sleet, snow, heat) including the ability to walk distances on uneven terrain, carry a backpack and supplies, paddling, and other strenuous activities
- Interest in the FNS approach to early childhood education, and an appreciation for emergent learning philosophies
- Understanding of the benefits of risk taking and a play-based curriculum
- Familiarity with the local flora and fauna (or willing to seek outside training or self-study) and an interest in learning about and improving upon your outdoor skills
- Willingness and ability to travel to all locations (Meaford, Wasaga Beach and Collingwood)
- Researching, planning and implementing a dynamic Forest and Nature School program and daily preparation of learning areas and materials
- Working closely with co-teachers to plan and prepare activities and projects utilizing natural materials that are locally foraged or sourced
- Ensuring the safety of all children at all times
- Communicating effectively with co-teachers, principals and directors of programming
- Communicating with parents effectively in person regarding the program
- Responding appropriately to the varying needs of children and implementing strategies that are individually focused and age appropriate, with an emphasis on compassion and respect
- Willingness to attend staff training, educator meetings, parent meetings and FNS related events
- Effectively using the natural landscape in a variety of ways to foster learning and spark curiosity with the students
- Supporting student sense of wonder and integrate inquiry-based strategies that effectively extends student emergent interest
- Willingness to cover teacher absences, including morning-of, and support a variety of programming (camps, after-school, PA Days, etc)
To apply, please e-mail cover letter and resume to:
email@example.com re: Part Time/Occasional Teacher Job Posting 2020
We thank all applicants for their interest however only candidates invited for an interview will be contacted.